Friday, October 24, 2008

Me, myself and her


In the past, I knew I was different,
Set apart from the rest.
I just couldn't fit in somehow,
Lacked confidence and zest.

I looked in the mirror at my reflection,
But someone else stood there staring.
Her eyes filled with unanswered questions,
Her gaze, unwavering.

For once in my life, I had the courage,
To look her in the eye and face my fears.
I shattered that illusion,
Because things aren't always like they appear.

That illusion was how people thought i was,
A person who was nothing like the real me.
Instead, it was a person as superficial as they themselves,
A girl who they wanted me to be.

I held my head up high in triumph,
For me, The world stood defeated.
But their words kept echoing in my head,
I was still the one they doubted.

Then I closed my ears and shut my eyes,
My belief in myself grew stronger.
I could not see them or hear their jeers,
And I cared for the world no longer.

6 comments:

Aman Batra said...

Hey....poet i never knew u culd rite sumthin lik dis

Rumbling Ranter said...

Thank you soo much Aman. I guess I am good. =P

Teller of Tales said...

oh yeah...awesome!!! ....cheers to d modest poet!!! :D

Rumbling Ranter said...

Haha! Thank you Pragya! And I take your comment on my modesty positively. I guess I am good and modest! =P

Ujjawal Chauhan said...

I don't know why the poem has been tagged with "pessimism"...the end was enough optimism - "My belief in myself grew stronger.
I could not see them or hear their jeers,
And I cared for the world no longer."

Rumbling Ranter said...

Yeah agreed. The ending is quite optimistic. Honestly, when I was writing it, I didn't plan it to be like this at all. It just happened spontaneously.
But apart from that, I think the rest of the tone is quite pessimistic. It's an autobiographical poem so I know that that was what I was aiming for.